I have wanted for a while to change out the nightstand on my side of the bed. It was one of those make do things that you think you'll just have for a few months and it ends up there for years. One of those pressed wood round tables with the table skirt. I did like the skirt I had made, linen with a green velvet square topper, but it was way past time to change.
Before Pinterest came along, it was tearing pages out of magazines or copy photos and save in a folder on your desktop. When I finally made the time to replace the nightstand I looked at all the photos I had saved, and this is the one that caught my eye.
I saw on Graphics Fairy today how to do an image search, and when I did, I found a link back for the photo to Ballard Designs, though they no longer carry the nightstand.
I started out with a $25.00 piece of cabinet grade plywood from Home Depot.
I came armed with measurements of the height of my bed, and the size I wanted the night stand to be and I sketched out what I wanted my nightstand to look like.
Then the cutting began:
Added legs by cutting 2 pieces of plywood one more square, one rectangular to attach under the side pieces, then tapered (that was a fun one to figure out). Then lots of little miter cuts to trim out the top of the leg. I actually liked the miter cuts.
Strips were added to make the shelves look like they were the full pieces, not the sides. Then trim pieces were added to the curved areas to finish off the sides along with trim to the top and back edge of the sides. Now LOTS of wood filler to cover over the "ply" in the plywood and all the other mistakes I made. SAND, Sand, Sand again!
2 coats of primer, and I decided to paint it a dark brown almost black to remind me of tree bark to go with the green color we have in our bedroom. I found Rustoleum's Painters Touch in Satin Dark Walnut. It went on very well and I loved the color. Once it was painted it was a little harder to see all the accent pieces on the sides so I decided to distress just a little. Sand some more, and use a Qtip to apply some stain I had, to tone down the white primer coat that came out with the distressing. At first I thought I'd just have to paint back over it, but it showed up the detail so much better, I just decided to not worry about the white, and now I love how it turned out.
After adding to it's place by my side of the bed I decided it needed the back on it to help cover the cords, but I don't know yet if I'll paint the back the same color or add some fabric to it, or something unexpected.
Sharing at these fun parties!